15 August 2020
TUTOR Mobile Print Studio
DAY Saturday 10am – 4pm
DATES 15 August
LOCATION Art Studios
This full day workshop will give you a comprehensive introduction to Intaglio printmaking, a remarkably simple process which produces beautiful marks through the use of engraved lines. We will look at different approaches to mark making and engraving and experiment with outcomes. Participants will learn how to use traditional etching tools to create multi-colour plates with a variety of tones, shapes and textures. This course is great for beginners but will also cover some valuable tips and tricks for the more experienced print-maker.
Structure and Course Content:
– Introduction to Intaglio printing.
– Experimenting with mark making to achieve dynamic images.
– Shaped plates.
– Inking up and printing.
– Developing techniques from the morning session we will work on a 2-plate design, thinking about colour and tone.
– Introducing Chine Collé (collage) into your work, using coloured and patterned papers and cuttings from newspapers.
– Participants will come away with a diverse series of prints on paper.
Mobile Print Studio is a Glasgow based partnership run by local artists David Farrar and Fionnuala McGowan, delivering pop-up printmaking workshops within the community and hosting a laser cutting service in their East End studio.
David Farrar graduated from The Glasgow School of Art in 2013 with BA (hons) in Fine Art: Painting & Printmaking. He has attended several residency programs and has exhibited nationally and internationally. He now lives and works in Glasgow as a printmaking technician in The Glasgow School of Art.
Fionnuala McGowan graduated from The Glasgow School of Art in 2014 with BA (hons) in Fine Art: Painting & Printmaking. She has exhibited across the UK and Ireland and now lives and works in Glasgow as a Laser Cutting Technician in The Glasgow School of Art.